Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Thing #13-Delicious

I first signed up for a delicious account in March, because it was a requirement for a workshop that I attended. Confession: I added 1 bookmark and never used it again. Sad, but true.

I haven't ever saved a favorite either. To tell you the truth, I was just keeping all my bookmarks in my head. I always found it easier to just type in the sites I knew and liked.

3 things finally convinced me:

1. I figured out that you can tag more than just websites you visit often. You can also tag articles, blogs, whatever you find out there.

2. A better understanding of the nature of tags. Always liked them. Haven't always used them. I did a lot of preaching about how they add to discovery, but I wasn't practicing what I was preaching. It takes a Type A Librarian a little while to be convinced that everything doesn't need a folder anymore.

3. Watching the Common Craft video about how sharing bookmarks is social. Now that I am blogging, twittering, facebooking, etc., I am all about being social. It is pretty cool to take a look at who is reading what you are reading and then find out what else they are reading and so on....

I made an attempt to add the tag button to my browser. It didn't work like I thought, so I will try to find someone who has figured it out. But, I was able to add a delicious gadget to my igoogle page and now I have instant access to my latest bookmarks.

I will mark this one down as at least a partial success.

No comments: